Gyms in Switzerland
Regular exercise has many health benefits, and more than half of the Swiss population engage in physical activities at least once a week.
If you are a fitness enthusiast looking to engage in gym workouts, sports, or health-promoting activities like antenatal fitness sessions, aerobics, or preventative physical training, Expat-savvy is here to give you all the necessary information concerning available gyms and gym membership in Switzerland.
Gym benefits and health insurance
Although basic health insurance in Switzerland does not cover fitness-related costs, they are included in the majority of supplementary health insurance policies.
There are several things you should keep in mind when it comes to your health insurance gym benefits:
- There are huge differences in the type of gym benefits and the extent of coverage insurers offer, so you should compare outpatient insurance policies to find the best offer for you.
- Based on the choice of your insurance policy, you can be reimbursed between CHF 200 and CHF 500 for fitness-related costs on an annual basis. Also, a number of insurers will cover your expenses to a certain limit, which is from 50 to 75% of the costs incurred.
- Depending on the health insurer, you may be required to submit evidence of attending a certain number of gym sessions before your expenses are covered.
- Many health insurance companies will cover your fitness-related costs only if your gym is certified with the Qualitop quality label, so make sure your gym qualifies for the benefit.
Gym membership costs
The cost of your gym membership depends on the different amenities and services offered by gyms in your vicinity, and it can range between less than CHF 500 and more than CHF 2000 annually.
First, it is crucial to decide which services you really need, as this determines the cost of your gym membership. The more amenities the gym has, the higher the membership fee you are required to pay. Different gyms offer different services and prior to making the final choice, we advise you to ask yourself the following questions:
- Do you go to the gym just to exercise, or you see it as a place where you can meet new people and socialize?
- Would you benefit from having a personal coach, or you don’t need any personal assistance?
- Would you like to have certain luxurious services available to you (e.g. sauna, steam bath, spa, childcare)?
- Would you prefer your gym to be close by, or you don’t mind going to the one outside your neighborhood?
Once you know exactly what you want, we can help you find a gym in Switzerland that offers the amenities you seek at the best available price!
Gym membership discounts
Gyms in Switzerland have several types of discounts available, including:
- Student discounts – many gyms offer discounts to students, and many universities have their own training facilities which are often free not only for students but for alumni as well.
- Association membership discounts – various organizations often establish partnerships with merchants in order to provide additional benefits to their members, so if you are a member of any Swiss association, check whether you are eligible for a gym membership discount.
- Senior discounts – as a senior, you can exploit senior discounts offered by a number of gyms.
- Friends or family membership discount – you are likely to be given a major discount if you take out more than one gym membership at the same time.
- Long-term membership discounts – should you take out a long-term gym membership instead of single-entry tickets, you can be offered a significant discount at your gym.
Choosing the right gym and gym benefits that come with your supplementary health insurance policy is not an easy feat to accomplish, and a smart decision can save you a couple of hundred CHF yearly, while providing you with the best service and amenities suited to your needs.
We are happy to provide all the information you need to make that decision – get in touch with Expat-savvy and we will help you find the most cost-effective gym in your vicinity!